The creation of the ERCIM AISBL is progressing rapidly and it is expected that the first general assembly consisting of all current ERCIM Members will be held in Trondheim on 9-10 June 2011.
Why participate in ERCIM?
ERCIM is a European-wide open network of centres of excellence in ICT and is internationally recognized as a representative organisation in its field, providing access to all major ICT research groups in Europe.
ERCIM has a track record of successful initiatives promoting ICT research and cooperation in Europe and beyond. Among these are:
- The Cor Baayen Award, awarded each year to a promising young researcher in computer science and applied mathematics. The award consists of a cheque for 5000 Euro together with an award certificate.
- Alain Bensoussan Fellowship Program, supported by the EC, offers fellowships for PhD holders from all over the world hosted in leading European Research Institutes.
- ERCIM News, the quarterly magazine of ERCIM with a print distribution of over 9000 copies, as well as free on-line access. Through short articles and news items on research and innovation, it provides a forum for the exchange of information between the institutes and also with the wider scientific community.
- Cooperation with professional bodies in domains of interest, such as the European Mathematical Society, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), the European Science Foundation (ESF)
- Organisation of strategic seminars on innovation
- White papers and reports for decision-making bodies such as the EC, eg Cooperations in Grid research between EU and South East Asian countries; Internet in the Mediterranean Region, Tunisian Research in IT, HPCN in the southern Mediterranean Region; Evaluations for the World Bank’s INFODEV Programme
- Organization of strategic workshops, eg Beyond-The-Horizon, EU-Mediterranean co-operations, EU-US National Science Foundation strategic workshops
- Research project management support: ERCIM has successfully applied for and managed numerous leading ICT research projects in the range of European Framework Programmes
- Working Groups: ERCIM runs working groups on focussed topics ranging from Computing and Statistics to Software Evolution, preparing the way for excellent research in new domains.
Organisations interested in joining ERCIM are invited to contact the ERCIM office to express their interest. Entry criteria and the process for joining are being finalised and it should be possible to formulate official applications for ERCIM membership from June 2011.