by Erwin Schoitsch
The ERCIM Working Groups Dependable Embedded Systems (DES) and Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems (FMICS) seized the opportunity at the 20th anniversary event of ERCIM to have a joint technical meeting. Experiences were exchanged, projects and scientific work were presented, and further cooperation was discussed, especially in light of the successful jointly edited special theme 'Safety-Critical Software' in ERCIM News 75. The meeting took place on 27 May 2009 in Paris.
The agenda covered the following issues:
- Radu Mateescu (INRIA): 'Specification and Analysis of Safety-Critical and Biological Systems'
- Jaco van de Pol (UTwente): 'High-Performance Model Checking for Embedded Systems'
- Wolfgang Herzner (ARC): 'Dependable Networked Embedded Systems Research at ARC: Overview on European Research Projects which are related to ERCIM DES WG Topics'
- Amund Skavhaug (NTNU): 'The Creation of a Special Interest Group for Embedded Systems at NTNU'
- Pedro Merino Gómez (UMA): 'Software Model Checking'
- Alessandro Fantechi (ISTI): 'Modelling Guidelines for Code Generation in Safety-Critical Systems'
- Erwin Schoitsch (ARC): 'ProSE - or How to Get Research Involved in Standardization'.
Possible cooperation in the editing of a book on safety-critical software was also discussed. The request for such a book came from Cambridge University Press following the above-mentioned special theme of ERCIM News 75.
The next workshops planned for the ERCIM DES Working Group are:
'Special Session: Dependable Embedded Systems' at Euromicro-SEAA, 27-29 August 2009, Patras, Greece. www.euromicro.org , see http://seaa2009.vtt.fi/
Session on 'Safety and security as a systemic challenge' at IDIMT 2009 (Interdisciplinary Information Management Talks), Jindrichuv Hradec, Czech Republic, 9-11 September 2009
'ERCIM/EWICS/DECOS Dependable Embedded Systems Workshop', SAFECOMP 2009 (15-18 September 2009, Hamburg), see http://www.safecomp.org
The next FMICS Working Group workshop will be held in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, on 2-3 November 2009.
All members of ERCIM or ERCIM Working Groups are invited to participate.
ERCIM DES Working Group coordinator
ERCIM FMICS Working Group coordinator
University of Florence and ISTI-CNR, Italy